Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Don't call me Peter Petrelli

I recently took a Facebook quiz (insert groan here) and discovered that the answer to the burning question, "Which Heroes character are you?" is Peter Petrelli. Initially I scoffed at this notion - I am not full of mid-20's angst! However, upon further reflection (which is all I seem to do these days), I realized that Yes, perhaps I am like Peter Petrelli. Not the angst part, but the empathy part.

When I was a little girl, my mother was fascinated by my ability to mimic her emotions. To prove this point to my father, she sat me down on the floor (I was around 4 years old) and pretended to cry. I immediately started to cry also. This sticks in my memory as the beginning of my co-crying existence.

I am one of those saps who cries at nearly anything - the 90 second Hallmark commercials, the predictable chick flicks, etc. If it is remotely sad or uplifting, I get teary. Just recently I got that fluttery feeling while watching a Gatorade commercial. Gatorade, people!

For those of you who think that co-crying is lame, I agree! I am sometimes irritated by the betrayal of my tear ducts. I am angered that I can't control my body. Then I remind myself that many people have this "disorder" only it isn't a reaction to crying. Perhaps it's a reaction to vomiting. Have you ever gagged when you watched someone vomit? Yeah, same thing for me, except with tears.

You're probably wondering what this has to do with me looking for a job. Well, here it is - I'm sad. And I'm probably going to shed a tear or two (or five or twenty) over the next few weeks. In fact, it has already started.

Last week I facilitated an abbreviated workshop about Change Management. At the end of the presentation, I looked all 26 people in the eye and said something along the lines of this, "As some of you know, I was not offered a job with ***. I want you all to know that it has been a pleasure working with each of you. I have enjoyed your participation and your humor through the years. All of you are the reason that I love my job. Thank you and good luck."

So what do these people decide to do? They give me a freaking standing ovation. Jerks. I completely started to well up! And to make matters worse, I couldn't just politely exit stage left. I had to wait for the Senior Manager to make some gracious comments, shake my hand, and then give me a hug. Oh, the horror.

Three days later, I get a 4 paragraph e-mail from a person at the meeting thanking me for everything, telling me that I am his favorite trainer, etc. And guess what I did when I read it? Yep, you got it. Tears - 2, Nikol - 0.

*** Lesson learned: The mind really does control the body.

4 comments:

  1. Henry Fonda once said, "I cry when I see a good steak!"
    Like you, I cry for everything!
    Happily I've cried more tears of joy than sadness in my life. I cried when I read your blog - not sad tears but tears of joy that others recognize what a special person you are. Someone is going to be very lucky to hire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make fun of my mom for crying at everything, now I do. I cry at this one Superbowl commercial where all the players' families said, "So-and-so plays in the Superbowl for ME, his brother," or "So-and-so plays in the Superbowl for ME, his high school geometry teacher..." My mom cries at the September 11 clydesdale Budweiser commercial. Now I cry when I think about her crying at that commercial. I also cry when I even think about the end of the Lord of the Rings when everyone kneels to the hobbits. Anyway, I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a crier also. My girlfriend laughs at me because I cry while watching commercials, movies and even SportsCenter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does, it does! My crying trigger is anger. For example, when I am in the middle of a screaming match with my older sister in front of friends and family, the last thing I WANT to do is burst into tears but alas that is what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.