Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stay classy Provident Bank

It's been over a week since I have seen my colleagues, or ex-colleagues and I find it interesting that I am feeling such a sense of loss. As most of you know, I worked in a satellite office where I would go for weeks without seeing or talking to some of my colleagues. Yet, now I have an undeniable craving for the camaraderie that we shared during our last few months together.

I have had the entire week to reflect on what my experience at Provident Bank has meant to me. I have been promising this post for weeks and I am just now finding the words that I want to share with my ex-colleagues, my friends, and the world.

My experience at Provident has been filled with hope, disappointment, frustration, excitement, but most of all growth. Provident will always be the place where I grew up. I have learned so much about myself at this organization. I learned how to be patient (although my husband may disagree). I learned how to be flexible. I learned how to be a professional.

In a recent Creative Writing class, I had to write about a "strange place." Instead of writing about a physical place, I wrote about the strange emotions I felt over the last six months - from the announcement of the buyout to the pending loss of my job, and the not-so-subtle hope that the acquisition wouldn't commence. As therapeutic as that activity was, I realized that so much of who I am was dependent on what I did.

I don't know when I became one of those people who always asks, "What do you do for work?" before asking, "What do you do for fun?" This past week has allowed me some time to explore my history - how did I become that person? And the answer is simple: I love my job, therefore, everyone else must love theirs, too.

Provident Bank, my colleagues, my friends, taught me that. They taught me to love my job, to love my profession, and to love who I am. Thank you.


**Lesson learned: I will always be a Provident employee.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man---this makes me sad!
    We need to have a Provident Get-Together :)

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.